Support / FAQs / About techtown

Home Forums Archives Why does my gfi flip when i plug it in?

• Why does my gfi flip when i plug it in?

Posted by guest on October 12, 2016 at 12:00 am

Why does my gfi flip when i plug in my unit?

fixbear replied 7 years, 5 months ago 1 Member · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • john

October 12, 2016 at 3:18 pm

Hi Tara,

This issue raises more questions than your initial question. Being that you posted in SaniServ, I gather this is an ice cream or slushie machine of some type–a model number could be useful here. Has this equipment been plugged in to this same receptacle for a long time, and is just now failing? Did you just get the equipment, or have you had it a while? Does it trip with any equipment or just this unit?

We’ve been given far too little information to even start rounding out possible scenarios. But even with that information, I will say this is definitely not a do-it-yourself job. Whether there is a problem with your GFCI (and therefore your electrical supply) or a problem inside the SaniServ equipment, I must recommend you consult a licensed professional.

• alnelson

October 12, 2016 at 6:34 pm

Have you gotten the machine wet or the outlet wet? If so, wait a few days for things to dry out and try again.

Other than that, I can suggest trying to plug the machine into a different gfi outlet.

If the other gfi trips right away, the problem is most likely in the machine, so call a service technician familiar with saniserv

If the other gfi does not trip, and the machine works ok plugged into the other outlet, the first gfi outlet probably has an issue so you should call an electrician to fix the outlet.

• fixbear

October 13, 2016 at 11:13 am

The GFI’s trip’s due to a small amount of current going to ground instead of the neutral wire. Most commercial GFI’s trip at 7 to 8 milliamps. Domestic ones can be as low as 3 milliamps. on the early versions and 4 to 5 on the latest. A human can only feel current at above 10 milliamps and pain at 15.. 25 creates involuntary muscle control and 50 will kill you.

Early domestic ones would not support motor operation due to winding inrush and harmonics. Cleaning with a strong alkaline or acid product will leave a conductive film that will trip a GFI  if it contacted anything electrical like the switch with to wet of cloth.

I assume that the unit is a small one and operates at 110 volts This limits it to I believe 3 machines and all have a 1/4 hp mixing motor and either a 1/2 or 3/4 hp compressor. You should have a 20 amp dedicated circuit for this machine. A tech with a ohmmeter can easily narrow down where the short is, but will need a bit of time to unwire each element of the unit and check.for leakage.

Over the years I have seen spiders, rodents, bug  nest, High pressure washing, cord chafes  and compressor internal shorts causing this. Oh yes, forgot the one with a staple into the cord.